Harvests this week were: garlic scapes, sugar snap and snow peas (three times!), kale and mustard (twice), radishes, lettuce, shelling peas, dill, broccoli, the last of the overwintered cilantro growing in the porch boxes which had bolted (we put it through the juicing machine along with other good-for-you produce that we’ve been drinking for the past month or so), and Spring-planted cilantro which went into a carnitas-like dish we made.
The broccoli heads were rather small but we went ahead and cut them because they were on the verge of flowering (one had actually begun flowering). The weather lately hasn’t been conducive to growing broccoli – it got quite hot really fast this week. We actually woke up to 38 degrees on Monday morning and by Thursday morning the overnight low was 62. Highs were in the mid-80s by the end of the week. That’s quite a spread… The broccoli harvest was the majority of the plants we have. I think we have only 4 more very small heads in the garden. We left the plants in their boxes though because the overwintered plants we harvested earlier this year kept producing a lot of offshoots. Maybe these plants will too and since we don’t need the beds quite yet, there was no reason to remove the plants.
The garlic scapes will primarily be going into hummus since we’re trying to cut back on things like yummy cream cheese spread.
The asparagus seems to be done for the season. As we mentioned in last week’s post, the asparagus bed has been a bit disappointing. We expected to get much more asparagus for the number of crowns we planted. We will likely plant some more crowns in the box next Spring.
We noticed a cabbage looper on one of the broccoli plants so we went ahead and sprayed all of the brassicas with BT after hand-picking the one caterpillar. We also seeded one of the porch boxes with cilantro after removing the radishes that never wanted to bulb up (a common problem for us). It’s getting a bit late for cilantro (which likes cooler weather) but since it’s on a porch that doesn’t get full sun all day, it might be OK. We also seeded more “Bouquet” dill. We grow two types of dill in containers (the other is “Tetra”) and most years, they reseed themselves and start growing again in Spring. This year, only one Bouquet dill plant has started growing so I roughed up the surface a little, threw a few more seeds into the container, sprinkled some compost on top to cover the seeds, and patted it all down before watering. Hopefully they’ll sprout!
Finally, we hardened off the last of the peppers in the basement for several days and planted them out on Friday. For whatever reason, NONE of the various melon seeds we started indoors on April 21 have germinated. We’re having a less-than-stellar success rate with seed starting this year! We’re going to go ahead and purchase melon starts next month when the boxes they’ll be going in are open; right now, the various brassicas are occupying the future melon boxes. Yes, we run season successions pretty tight in order to maximize the *potential* productivity of our garden. (Actual productivity being a whole ‘nother matter entirely…).